- “There is nothing so ridiculous but some philosopher has said it.” - Cicero
- “Philosophy is at once the most sublime and the most trivial of human pursuits.”- William James
- “Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.” - David Hume
- “To ridicule philosophy is really to philosophize.”
- Blaise Pascal
- “If you’re not sure what you want to do with your life, you’re already philosophizing.” - Eddie Thomas
- "Introduction to Philosophy"
- "Introduction to Ethics"
- "Philosophy of Religion"
- "The Quest for Meaning"
The beauty of a Philosophy major is that it is not simply instrumental, although it is likely to serve you well in life. Graduates of the department end up in many different careers, the most popular being those vocations related to the law.
There is a sense of community in the Philosophy Department at Mercer. The faculty offices are all on the same hall, which is near the classrooms used for most philosophy courses, and there is a seminar room (The Metaphysics Lab) available to students for study and conversation. Conversations often spill from class into the hallways and out onto the quad. Summer study abroad courses in philosophy even take the conversation across the ocean.