MercerPalooza is the theme for Homecoming 2006 and promises to provide exciting activities for all Mercerians – whether students, alumni, faculty, staff or friends.
Student activities for Homecoming, organized by QuadWorks, will run from Feb. 5-11 while alumni events are centered around the weekend, Friday and Saturday, Feb. 10-11. Highlight of the week-long activities will center around the women's and men's basketball games at the University Center on Friday, Feb. 10. Both teams will entertain Stetson University, with the women tipping off at 4:30 p.m. and the men's televised game getting under way at 7:30 p.m.
Day-by-day student activities include:
- Feb 5, banner competition at 3 p.m. and intramural competition at 7 p.m.;
- Feb. 6, dancing heads from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., and a hypnotist from 7-9 p.m.;
- Feb. 7, skit competition at 8 p.m.;
- Feb. 8, airbrush tattoos from 11 a.m.- 2 p.m. and music trivia at 7:30 p.m.;
- Feb. 9, battle of the bands, 7 p.m. – 12 a.m.;
- Feb. 10, tailgate party begins at 4 p.m., women's basketball at 4:30 p.m., including recognition of homecoming court at halftime, and men's basketball game at 7:30 p.m.;
- Feb. 11, fun run at 8 a.m., parade at 10 a.m., grill cook off at 12 p.m., and homecoming dance from 8-11 p.m. Detailed information on these events are available on the Web at www2.mercer.edu/quadworks or by calling Beth Evans at (478) 301-2868.
Alumni Services sponsored events begin with the tailgate party at the basketball games on Friday, to also include an alumni reception between games at Java City in the University Center. On Saturday, in addition to the above-listed activities, reunion dinners are set for classes of 1966 (to include '65 and '67, 1976 (to include '75 and '77), 1986 (to include '85 and '87), 1996 (to include '95 and '97), and 2000-2005. More information on alumni-sponsored events is available by calling Erin Lones at (478) 301-5548.
And for those Mercerians looking for one more event to complete the Homecoming weekend, tickets are still available for the Mercer Big Dance, sponsored by the Athletic Department, at the Macon Centreplex. Three bands will perform: The Tams, Men of Distinction and The Grapevine. The event runs from 7 p.m. until midnight. Call (478) 301-2733 for more information.