(If you are a student or parent and need more information about purchasing a cell phone, please contact Mercer Rave store manager Renee Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
When freshmen step onto Mercer University’s Macon campus on August 18 for move-in day, they will have a new tool in their backpacks: a Mercer-specific cell phone. The phones are part of MercerMobile, a new communications system that will help students to stay in better touch with other students, their friends and families, and especially the Mercer community. Developed and offered by Sprint and Rave Wireless, MercerMobile represents the latest in mobile communications for universities.
Designed specifically for Mercer University, MercerMobile is expected to enrich the college experience by creating a well-connected environment in which to live and learn. The MercerMobile cell phone provides a comprehensive suite of communication tools. While all entering freshmen will be required to participate in the program, the program is available to all students and is expected to be incorporated throughout the University as the MercerMobile system develops.
Through MercerMobile, students can:
• Text message groups of friends and classmates
• Access their Mercer and AOL e-mail accounts
• Receive vital course information from professors
• Find out what’s being served in the cafeteria
• Keep up with activities across the campus
• Find restaurants that take the Bear Card
• Track the current whereabouts of Mercer shuttle buses
• Receive urgent news from Mercer administrators and emergency alerts from Mercer Police
• Immediately notify Mercer Police in the event of an emergency
Other services will be added as the system develops.
While the basic unit included with the program package has lots of features, students will have the opportunity to upgrade to some of the very latest phones for greatly reduced prices. All plans include unlimited text messaging; free nights and weekends, starting at 7 p.m.; unlimited in-network calling, and unlimited access to MercerMobile services.
Sprint and Rave Wireless have spent the summer installing additional equipment on Mercer’s Macon and Atlanta campuses to ensure a strong, clear signal to the cell phones.
More details about MercerMobile are available at www.mercer.edu/mercermobile.