October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and in order to help women become aware and find breast cancer in its early stages, the Mercer University School of Medicine’s will provide several breast health awareness seminars to women living in Central Georgia. Breast cancer has been increasing at an alarming rate with current estimates indicating that 1-in-8 women will develop breast cancer during their lifetimes. It is the leading cause of death of American women between the ages of 40 and 55.
The seminars, sponsored by the School’s Department of Community Medicine, will teach women why and how to perform breast self-exam, and what should prompt them to make an appointment with their personal physician for confirmation.
A free luncheon will be provided to women participants, and a door prize will be offered. Moreover, some of the women participants will be offered a coupon for a free mammogram examination.
“Getting diagnosed at an early stage is very important because early detection is crucial not only to the ‘survivorship’ of a patient, but to her quality of life while treating the cancer, and thereafter,” according to Fan Chen, M.D., in the Department of Community Medicine. “For many patients, early detection could mean not having to lose a breast through mastectomy or not having to experience aggressive chemotherapy.”
Earlier this year, Mercer offered two seminars for Spanish speaking women. All the seminars are sponsored by Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation.
The schedule of the seminars is listed below, with the language offered and location. More seminars in Chinese may be given in October to December. For more information about the seminars, call Mercer University Department of Community Medicine at (478) 301-4053.
• Sept. 25, 5:30-7 p.m., Chinese, School of Medicine #201, Mercer University, 1550 College St. Macon
• Oct. 3, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., English, Mercer University Life Religious Center, 1550 College St., Macon
• Oct. 10, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., English, Middle Georgia Technical College, 80 Cohen Walker Dr., Warner Robins
• Oct. 17, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., English, Southside Community Church, 4162 Roy Ave., Macon
• Oct. 24, 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m., English, Middle Georgia Technical Institute Adult Education Center, 700 Spruce St., Fort Valley
• Oct. 31, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., English, Mercer University, Religious Life Center, 1550 College St., Macon